Thursday, November 5, 2009

Whyte Vs. Gibbs: Who Will Win?

  1. Whyte and Gibbs have two major distinctions in there approach to city design. Whyte wants to manipulate people to do what he wants and Gibbs designs slightly persuades people to do what he wants. Gibbs try to over manipulate people by taking advantage of the things that he knows will distract people. Personally I don't like being manipulated, especially while I'm shopping. I think that he over complicates the shopping experience for the male percentage of shoppers, because the average male wants to get in and out with very little distractions. I think Gibbs in more convincing to the large majority of shoppers, because he design simply suggest you to look another way, instead of forcing you to go that way.
  2. Elements that are particular attractive to me for an urban area are simplicity, cleanliness, parking, flow of traffic, stores that are offered. My ideal urban area would be somewhere where I could go to fulfill my minor shopping needs as well as food and amusement. I would be repealed from an area if it didn't have any stores that I wanted to go to or if roads were too complicated to drive on.

No comments: